Thursday, December 18, 2008

Gifts for Host Parents

So I leave in exactly one month from today. I had my last Wolof lesson with Thierno:(, and I am now thinking about last minute shopping/packing that I have to do once I get back to Chicago for break. There is one thing that I can't decide on, however, and if you guys have any ideas/suggestions, they're greatly appreciated:

I've decided I want to get my host parents/family a gift(s), for when I arrive. I think that's pretty much a universal customary thing to do...so now the question becomes: what to buy?
One item I've decided on, is a picture frame, so we can take a photo of all of us before I leave, so they can always remember me. Sort of narcisstistic, I know...but still:)
Other than that...I was thinking something Chicago-related, since I doubt any of them have ever been there. What's something that is inexpensive, Chicago-ish, that someone in Senegal might enjoy? Any ideas? I was thinking something small...perhaps edible, but I would have to claim it at customs when I arrive in Senegal...might be more of a hassle than it's worth.

Let me know...any ideas, again, would be helpful!!:)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I just checked in to see if you left yet: my friend left for Hong Kong on the fifth. Maybe it's too late, but a book with lots of pictures of Chicago, the University of Illinois, or your hometown would be great to bring; then your family could see were you live. Clothes from these places would be good too. -Brian Zuro